6.26.2009

King MJ

The news of Michael Jackson's death really hit the world hard. Everywhere I go, I overhear people talking about him. Some good, some nasty (I almost got in a fight with this one couple). I wanted to remember him for his talents, his extraordinary musical gift, the way he made me feel (ha)

Music is a huge part of my life. When I think about my family and my upbringing, music definitely goes hand in hand with who we are. Everything related to music surrounded me from the moment I entered the world. My parents would sit us down and we would just listen to record upon record. The first TAPE that I ever bought, to put in my new boombox, was Dangerous. The whole thing, from start to finish, just moved me so much I was known for repeating that album over and over. His songs really are a part of me. I remember seeing his 'Thriller' video for the first time on MTV, it was surreal. Scary in a way, but absolutely intoxicating. And of course The Wiz. One of my favorite roles of his ever.

I feel compelled to write more, but I won't. This is simply in remembrance of a legacy of our time. A person who has been a part of my world and culture for as long as I can remember, and whose tunes will always be a part of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment